Checklist: What To Do At The Scene Of A Car Accident
The first thing that many people do at the scene of an auto accident is let their emotions overcome them. Whether they panic, lash out in anger, or start playing the blame game, it is imperative that motorists remain calm at the scene of an accident. The mood after an accident is already tense, and escalating the situation will only make matters worse. Here’s a quick checklist of what you should do immediately following an auto accident:
- Remain at the scene and do not admit fault
- Call the police to report the accident
- Exchange information with the other driver(s) and use your smartphone to take photos of the accident and damage
- Report the claim to your insurer
- Do not discuss the details of the accident with anyone except the police and your claims representative
- Check in daily with your claims representative to keep the process moving. Claims reps are busy and maintaining consistent communication will help get your car repaired on back on the road sooner.